Thursday, June 25, 2020

Government Support: Getting to know the Tri-Council

Providing funds for academic research in Canada: the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) and the National Science and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC)

Credit: Gianfranco Molfino Alvarado

At a glance, there are three major federal agencies providing funds for academic research in Canada known as Tri-Council: the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) and the National Science and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC) wherein more than 3,000 grants and CAD 400 million are given annually in all disciplines for developing research projects focusing on IoT, Sustainable Architecture and Engineering, Natural Sciences, Health and Social Innovation fields.


The most business-driven agency among the three mentioned above is NSERC having diverse scaled purpose grants such as Connect, Engage, Collaborative Research and Development (CRD), Strategic Partnerships Grants for Projects (SPG-P), Industrial Research Chair (IRC), Applied Research and Development (ARD), and Applied Research Tools and Instruments (ARTI); funding projects from $25,000 to $500,000 where partners can hold the patent of the new product/service or enhancement released remaining this value in the company so ultimately, the grantees are also the institution, students and the private company.



The funding is specifically for research projects towards direct costs and basically any kind of stipend authorized for the purposes of the research. Those are identified and categorized within amount limits as follows:


  • Research facilities
  • Research resources
  • Management and administration of the institution's research enterprise
  • Regulatory requirements and accreditation
  • Intellectual property and knowledge mobilization


Write to us at to send your queries on the tri-council funding support.